Each Collegiate OA site features an enterprise reinforcing employment and independent living skills. For example, tOAsty’s is a student-run coffee shop on campus. tOAsty’s provides real-world job experiences. As a student staff member of tOAsty’s, you work towards individual independent living, community access and career readiness goals.
Students spend their days in a loving and supportive community focused on:
- internships and job skills like prepping for interviews.
- making friends, helping others, and building a community.
- practicing how to independently do daily chores for home living success.
- assisted technology.
- everyday math and reading skills.
- healthy lifestyles.
- using public transportation and navigating the community.
- accessing the community: library, movies, bank, mall, museums, gardens, public pool, healthcare, and grocery stores.
Students will leave the program with skills like how to:
- get and keep a job.
- create a support system with local agencies for services.
- plan a budget.
- create lasting friendships and social networking opportunities.
- grocery shop and prepare healthy meals.
- independently access the bus for transportation.
- live more independently at home, with roommates, or alone.