What is Opportunities Academy?
Opportunities Academy [OA] is Collegiate Academies’ rigorous, post-secondary full day program for scholars with moderate to significant disabilities. Ambramson Sci Academy and Carver High School house our OA programs on their campuses.
OA supports each student in achieving his or her highest level of independence in pursuit of meaningful and fulfilling personal and professional outcomes in the areas of independent living, community access, and career readiness.
- New Orleans resident
- Under 22 years of age
- Have completed high school English, Math, Social Studies, and Science credits.
Limited space available. Enroll now through June 1.
Each Collegiate OA site features an enterprise reinforcing employment and independent living skills. For example, tOAsty’s is a student-run coffee shop on campus. tOAsty’s provides real-world job experiences. As a student staff member of tOAsty’s, you work towards individual independent living, community access and career readiness goals.
Students spend their days in a loving and supportive community focused on:
- internships and job skills like prepping for interviews.
- making friends, helping others, and building a community.
- practicing how to independently do daily chores for home living success.
- assisted technology.
- everyday math and reading skills.
- healthy lifestyles.
- using public transportation and navigating the community.
- accessing the community: library, movies, bank, mall, museums, gardens, public pool, healthcare, and grocery stores.
Students will leave the program with skills like how to:
- get and keep a job.
- create a support system with local agencies for services.
- plan a budget.
- create lasting friendships and social networking opportunities.
- grocery shop and prepare healthy meals.
- independently access the bus for transportation.
- live more independently at home, with roommates, or alone.
Interested in enrolling today? Contact Michael Mahoney, CA’s Director of Specialized Programming, at email@example.com or call him directly at (804) 992-6822.Contact Us